Suspect a Thyroid Problem? Try the Low-Tech Body Basal Temperature Test

One of the common symptoms of thyroid problems (loose term) is being unusually cold or hot.  I am almost always freezing and I've been that way for many years.  In fact, I carry a blanket with me pretty much throughout every room in our house. I can feel that my feet are cold to the touch even through my socks. So, in comes the basal temperature test.

Although it is not used as a definite means for diagnosis, this test can assist you in identifying a possible thyroid problem. It's probably a good idea to share the results with your doctor, though they'll likely need to conduct the proper lab tests to confirm it. If your temperature does run low, don't freak out just yet, but it's probably a good idea to call your doctor and get properly screened for Hashimoto's, which is the #1 cause of hypothyroidism in the US.

So, body temperature is a measurement of your metabolic rate, which is largely controlled by the thyroid. It's super easy and all you need is a thermometer. I used a glass one for better accuracy, but a decent digital one is likely to be just as reliable.
The test was designed by Dr. Broda Barnes and was widely used as a diagnostic tool well before LabCorp existed.

Directions
Women who still menstruate- check your basal temperature (underarm) the 3rd-5th day of your period. You must check it in the morning before getting out of bed.  Record the results. 

Men or women, who no longer menstruate- You should record it for a week straight.

Analyzing the Results 
  
Normal-97.8-98.2 
<97.8- May be a clue of an under active thyroid 
<97.6- A stronger warning sign of an under active thyroid (I fell in to this category)

A low basal temp. is also an indication of a SLOW metabolism And, I’m not only referring to how many calories you’re burning, but yes that too.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment